Sunday, April 6, 2008

Personal "Outboard Brain"

Here is a Jon Udell interview with Phil Libin, the CEO of Evernote, Personal Outboard Brain. in which he describes the planned future of his product as a "personal memex." It's very ambitious. The interview has some relevance for anyone interested in note-taking.

I am not sure the online "solution" really is a solution.

There are other interesting interviews in the Interviews with Innovators series.

See ITConversations

I found especially interesting the interviews with Ward Cunningham of Wiki-fame and with Jeannette Wing from Carnegie Mellon University on "computational thinking."

2 comments:

Phil said...

I agree that a purely "online" solution doesn't quite work. What we're building at Evernote is a combination of online and local options so that your notes are always available wherever you are, but you don't need to be on a network to use them.

MK said...

I am using the present version of Evernote as a means to capture notes from the Internet and to copy articles, which I then further "process" in ConnectedText. The two are working together well.

I obviously have not looked at the new version yet, and thus have to reserve judgment. But I am a bit leery of the "online-centric" new model. Perhaps I am showing my age when I say that I like things behind my firewall.