Friday, April 23, 2010

DevonPad

DevonPad is in "closed beta." It is a companion to DevonThink that runs on the iPhone or the iTouch. The site for DevonPad contains screenshots of the program designed to synchronize with the desktop application. It also contains the following note:

"Please don’t contact us to ask if you can join the beta group. The iPhone Developer Program allows us to install beta software on up to 100 devices. We need to keep a few slots in the list for iPad testing so please understand that we cannot extend the beta group at the moment."

Talk about restrictive conditions! Apple imposes limits at every level. This approach would never do in UNIX and Windows. One of the reasons I will never surrender my entire digital life to this "big brother."

I wonder when this approach will begin to backfire.

2 comments:

L said...

Alas, I think Apple's closed model will continue to work because their success depends primarily on our population's insatiable appetite for entertainment, which shows no sign of waning.

I purchased a Macbook a couple years ago, but when I started it up, I was informed that I must create an iTunes account. I refused. I called Apple, and after the friendly support person consulted some others in her office, the answer came back that there was simply no way to run the Macbook without creating an iTunes account. I promptly returned the Macbook and purchased a low-priced Acer laptop (which served me well).

Nonetheless, I suppose there's no reason to be ideological about it---much of what Apple and the Apple software development community have to offer is excellent.

welcometosherwood said...

First of all, I agree with you, Manfred, that Apple is far more of a Big Brother than IBM or even Microsoft ever was -- making that old Macintosh "1984" ad rather amusing in an ironic way.

My experience with getting a Macbook was different than your previous commentor. I got my Macbook just about two years ago, and I don't recall having to create an iTunes account. I have subsequently done so, about six months ago, because I wanted to purchase some music.

I love my Macbook and plan to get a new one in the next 12 months. I just hope Steve Jobs hasn't squeezed developers so tightly that they stop creating new and innovative software. (Actually, I also hope that Apple doesn't begin to abandon "typical" computers in favor of iPhones and iPads.)