Friday, April 15, 2011

ConnectedText and Scrivener

I have been going through some of my old paper notebooks recently. I found the following entry I made on Friday, December 12, 2008. It was the result of a similar exercise:
On Sunday August 20, 2006, I asked myself whether I might not be trusting ConnectedText too much by putting all my notes into it. The last two years have shown that I made the right decision.
It is now April 15, 2011, that is, five years after I recorded the original worries. I have kept on using ConnectedText, and I have not regretted it one bit. It's a rock solid application. Even during Beta testing I have never had any real problems or worries about the safety of my my data.

At the beginning of this month, I finished the first draft of the book I am working on. I wrote it entirely in ConnectedText from the first note to the last sentence.

But now the time has come to revise and polish it in ways that are best done with a word processor, so I imported all the topics to RTF, using the AhK script I wrote earlier. It worked well, for the most part. Getting everything, that is, all 195,000 words (footnotes and all), into the proper format, took about five hours.

But I missed the outliner and the powerful search function of ConnectedText, so decided that I will use Scrivener as an intermediate step between the the rough draft and the final version. What I like about it is that it easily "compiles" the entire manuscript into PDF, RTF or doc files whenever I need or want to.

I will continue to use ConnectedText for my notes and rough drafts, however. Scrivener and ConnectedText seem to work well together (though I am not sure at this point whether Scrivener will prove to be as reliable as ConnectedText).

2 comments:

Lucas said...

For quite some time now, I have been checking the ConnectedText site almost compulsively in the hopes of seeing version 5. Are you able to divulge anything about the current status and/or what some of the new features will be?

(Recently I've been using OneNote, mainly because I really like having "intrinsic outlining", by which I mean that I can write body text in hierarchical form (not just in headings, but anywhere). If only CT could have OneNote's intrinsic outlining and drawing capabilities, it would be nearly perfect for me.)

MK said...

I did publish the list already. See the comments to the following topic: Cloud View.