Monday, April 11, 2011

Scrivener Beta 022

I am now at the stage in my project where I benefit from having a word processor. Accordingly, I tried today to import a large RTF file (190,000 words) into Scrivener. It choked. Even moving a cursor down one line took several minutes. I chopped the file into different files of chapter size (between 10,000 and 15,000 words), it worked—sort of, but it was still intolerably slow. Even breaking down the files into still smaller chunks did not make it much better.

There are quite a few footnotes, some words in italics. That's all. Nothing complicated or fancy.

I am giving up on Scrivener for now! It was probably never meant for serious work, anyway.

ConnectedText did not have a problem with this; neither does Atlantis.[1]

1. In the forum, there is the following claim: "We trialled a 364,440 word (2,361,934 characters) in a single document. First clicking the down arrow in the binder through a series of other docs until one hits the 364,440 word document took about 7-10 seconds to display." This is most definitely not my experience on a AMD Athlonll X4 630 (P) 2.8 GHz (95W) with 4GB of memory (and Windows 7, 64 bits).


JWS02459 said...

Intrigued by Scrivener, I've been experimenting with it for shorter projects. But cautioned by this report, I thought it might be best to load a book manuscript I've been working on into the program and see whether I encountered similar problems. Fortunately, I didn't: I've imported 10 rtf files amounting to a total of 156,927 words, with copious footnotes. Scrolling from the beginning to the end of the manuscript is instantaneous.

So, the program seems to be able to deal with large documents. It remains to be seen how well I can deal with the program.

I'm using the Macintosh version (2.0.5) on a MacBookPro with 8 GB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor.

MK said...

I was talking about the Windows program which is, unless I am very much mistaken, not just a different version, but a different program (with a similar surface structure). I think files are supposed to be interchangeable.

I am glad the Scrivener on the Mac works! But I never questioned that it works.