Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stickies

I came across a "post-it note" application last month, called Stickies. I have used such applications in the past, but not found them overly useful. This time around, it was different, as it fulfilled a definite need. Lately, I have been forgetting to take my pills against high blood pressure, etc (remembering only in the office where I have no pills). This application is a good reminder system.

"The design goal behind Stickies is that the program is small and simple. Stickies will not mess with your system files, or write to the registry. Stickies stores information in a single text-based ini file." It is indeed "is beautifully implemented, well-documented and, astonishingly, it's free." You can put notes to sleep, set reminders and even attach them to different applications or documents. It is in this way just like GumNotes, though it does not automatically synchronize with your IPhone, MAC, Android or Internet.


It also works together well with ConnectedText. If I save a note with the extension "sti", I can embed a link to the file in a ConnectedText topic. (If it would recognize ConnectedText URLs, it would be even better.) I also use it as a replacement for the AutoHotkey script that I reported about some time ago. Typing "Win+S" brings up a new note which stays on the desktop until you have dealt with it (meaning: have closed it). But mainly I just use it for reminders that pop up at the time when I need them. Probably something to do with age ... though I doubt it.

No comments: