Sunday, October 16, 2011

ConnectedText on the iPad

After having problems on my office computer with Windows and wasting another six hour of my life with a PCR error that would not let me print, a printer driver that I could not uninstall because there was a document in the print queue, etc., etc., I have decided to give the Mac another try. I could make the problem disappear, but what bothers me is that I have no idea what I did to make it go away. I now bought a Mac Mini and Parallels. Installed Windows 64 (32 bit) on the Mac, and spent most of the weekend making it work. It took a while, but I now have the most important programs running on the Mac and on the virtual Windows in Parallels. Printing of Windows applications is handled by OS X, by the way.

It's not without problems. Autohotkey does not play nice with Parallels or Parallels does not play nice with Autohotkey. Don't know what causes it, but the script file starts in Notepad whenever I switch from OS X to a windows application.

One good thing--actually the only thing I really require of Windows at this point--is that Parallels runs ConnectedText without a hitch. But what really blows me away is that "Parallels Mobile," a companion application, can connect to a running copy of ConnectedText (or any other Windows application) on the desktop so that you can actually work in ConnectedText on the iPad. The virtual keyboard obscures much of the screen (when it's open), but it works, and the topics are immediately updated as they are written. This is great!


8 comments:

EMauro said...

A screen shot showing CT in the iPad screen would be great.

MK said...

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't know how to do one.

MK said...

I figured it out. Here are two pictures.

Alan Sandercock said...

Speaking of the Mac and ConnectedText I just wanted to point out that I've been running ConnectedText quite smoothly and generally without pain on my Macbook Pro under a version of Wine produced by the Wineskin project at http://wineskin.doh123.com/. The advantage of this solution is that I do not have to worry about installing a copy of Windows on the Macbook. On the potential downside is that I'm not running Python from within ConnectedText although I presume that it can be setup to do this - I just haven't figured it out yet.

MK said...

Hmm ... Wine sounds interesting.

I looked at the Website. The following claim scares me a bit: "Getting good at using Wine to get Windows programs working is like a learned art. Its not always easy, and the same methods might not work for different programs."

What about upgrading ConnectedText? How big a chore is that?

Alan Sandercock said...

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a while and not checking back in. I have not had to update ConnectedText on this Macbook using this setup as I just started using it with Version 5.0. That is a potential downside of course, although it's easy to simply reinstall an updated version of ConnectedText from scratch, I suppose.

I saw your comment on the general poorer quality of fonts under Wineskin and yes, I have to agree that it's not so good. I'm only working with this software in this way because I'm not presently able to load a copy of Windows on the machine using Vmware or Parallels, and I'm addicted to CT. It's a quick and dirty (but still useful) approach.

Fernando Valenzuela said...

How about using codeweavers?
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4216

The possibility of not being able to use CT is actually keeping me back from trying out a Mac.

From MKs post I assume installing it using parallels will not be easy.

MK said...

It is very easy on Parallels. Just as easy as on Windows. in fact.