Wednesday, December 21, 2011

ConnectedText and Ulysses

ConnectedText and Ulysses As I have reported before, I have switched from the PC platform to the Mac. I run Parallels on the Mac in order to be able to use an old version of Quicken and ConnectedText. My present "workflow" is something like this.
  • I use nvAlt as an inbox. Every note that does not go directly into ConnectedText, goes here first. I like it because I can use wiki markup "//...//" for Italics "**…**" for bold, etc. It even uses "[[…]]" for links. So I can use my familiar markup and eventually paste it with the proper markup into ConnectedText.
  • I keep all my notes and do most of my work in ConnectedText, as I did before.
  • When it comes time to write the final draft, I use Ulysses. I have set it up so that it uses the same markup as ConnectedText (including "=" etc. for headings). This was very easy to do, since Ulysses uses plain text and I can just paste the raw text from ConnectedText into it. Even the inline footnotes translate well. ConnectedText uses "[! … !]", Ulysses uses "{{-…}}". The markup can easily be replace by Search and Replace. Why switch to Ulysses and not stay in ConnectedText? It's because Ulysses has much sronger export capabilities to PDF, RTF and ePub.
  • I use Mellel for final polishing. Its files can be exported to PDF, Word and OPML, if need be.
So far, everything seems to be going smoothly. It also seems to prove the advantages of using plain text over proprietary formats. I hardly notice that the central application I use is in windows, while almost everything else is in Mac OS X.

I am still looking to better fit in Scribe, but that has to wait until it can save and import OPML.

1 comment:

MK said...

Actually, footnotes are also easier. Rather than changing ConnectedText markup to "{{..}}", I now changed the footnote identifiers in Ulysses to "[!...!] to make it fully compatible.