Friday, January 20, 2012

On Thoughtlessness

I just read a post of almost breath-taking thoughtlessness. It's entitled "Why I Don’t Buy Books From Bookstores." It starts out like this: "I want to make this crystal clear: I love bookstores. I love going to them and checking out the bookshelves and the magazine racks, and finding some good things to read." And it ends: "As someone who has embraced e-readers, I rarely find myself purchasing from brick-and-mortar bookstores anymore. While I do enjoy a physical book from time to time, I love my Kindle and can get books cheaper and instantly 99% of the time. Even if you don’t have an e-reader, having the ability to price-check and even order books from a smart phone makes it really hard to justify spending the extra 15-30% just to get the book that moment."

Well, buddy, with friends (or customers?) like you, bookstores do not need enemies. They will go broke and you will not "be going to them and checking out the bookshelves." But I guess that would not be sufficient justification for spending a little more, if you are a freeloader.

It's not that I don't have a Kindle and an iPad, but books still do have an important place in my life, and I do hope they will have a similar place in the lives of my grandchildren.

No comments: