Sunday, June 3, 2012

Stand up for Something

Not so long agao I asked whether chairs are evil. This led to a suggestion that standing desks are better. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe who lived to a ripe old age certainly used one. And it does seem to be true that sitting causes problems with certain parts of the body. "When you're standing, you're bearing weight through the hips, knees, and ankles," says Dr. Andrew C, Hecht, co-chief of spinal surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center. "When you're sitting, you're bearing all that weight through the pelvis and spine, and it puts the highest pressure on your back discs. Looking at MRIs, even sitting with perfect posture causes serious pressure on your back." It's also blamed for poor circulation, high blood sugar and hypertension. A 2010 issue of the Harvard Health Letter recommends to stand up for your heart.

So, on the advice of a friend I am getting a fancy standup desk at the office. But what about home, where I have very limited space for my home office. I discovered today that an IKEA book shelf of the type "Billy" (Width: 15 3/4 ", Depth: 11 ", Height: 41 3/4 ") does in a pinch. Yes, it has a small surface, but my Acer Aspire AO722-0825 fits quite well, and all the other stuff is available on my sit down desk and in the shelves below.
It's good as a means to make me stand up at least some of the time. What do I use for writing and note-taking in such a situation? Notetab Pro that saves to an outline file in Dropbox. It's almost immediately available on the desktop when I sit down.

If this is the proper posture one should take
then the height is optimal, indeed.

No comments: