Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Folding Text, Finished

Folding Text is now available in the Apple Applications Store. It costs $14.99.[1]

If it were cheaper, like half the price, I would have bought it already. I am still thinking whether I really need a rudimentary editor that duplicates what other programs do which I already own."

The say, the program is "surprisingly adept" and will make you "write clear, focused documents." If it did, it would be worth a hundred times its price, but I am afraid writing "clear and focused documents" is the responsibility of the writer, not of the software.


1. Added on Wednesday, October 17, 2012: It seems that $14.99 represents the "40% Off Launch Sale," and that the final price is even higher.

5 comments:

welcometosherwood said...

I bought a copy yesterday. After admittedly limited use I am a bit disappointed. The spartan text area is, to my mind anyway, too spartan. It does not provide enough visual cues as to the relationships among the lines of text. I suppose one could get used to it with use, but this does not seem to me an improvement on the excellent TaskPaper, which it is eventually supposed to replace.

MK said...

I am sorry to hear that you don't like it. I probably like it a little more, but not enough to buy it.

welcometosherwood said...

Well, I am not quite ready to live with my initial reactions. I'll work with it some more and see how I feel then. Perhaps it will grow on me, as I am enthusiastic about the general idea behind the app.

JWS02459 said...

According to the Folding Text website: "We expect to sell it for $14.99 for the first week, and then switch to $24.99. Longer term (After we’ve implemented some of the bigger features in the roadmap we expect pricing to be in the $30 to $40 range."

l3art said...

Fully agreed. The price will drop after the developer realizes he has been pretentious. I tested the beta for some time but it has unneeded functionality for me.