Monday, November 19, 2012

Microsoft Window

I have not paid much attention to developments having to do with Windows 8, as I run Windows 7 (32 bit) on Parallels in OS X. But today I read this:
Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."
The article goes on to say: "That lack of multiple window support forced Nielsen to dub it 'one of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users.'"[1]

I would agree! In fact, this decision by Microsoft seems to be breathtakingly reckless and stupid! In fact, so much so that I can't believe they made it.

1. See Design guru Nielsen: Windows 8 UI 'smothers usability'.

3 comments:

Pierre said...

"Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."

This is the most stupid words I've read in a review for a very, very long time.
Sorry for the word, but this is total bullshit!

In the Desktop of Windows 8, you still can have multiple windowS opened, of course. The Desktop mode of Windows 8 is just like what Windows has always been since Windows 3.1.

Look at this screenshot, for instance:
http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/Win8DesktopSnap,0101-358263-0-2-3-1-png-.html

Looking at Windows 8 only from a "Modern UI" point of view is lacking a lot of the things that make Windows.

I honestly think that Windows 8 is the most innovative, daring, intelligent rewrite of Windows that Microsoft ever did. And I say that while running Mac OS X Moutain Lion as my main OS, so no fanboy opinion here ;-)

Pierre said...

More explanation of how it works here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-review,3334-18.html

MK said...

Well, I am glad what the review says isn't true.