Saturday, December 29, 2012

On My Reading List

Written Images: Søren Kierkegaard’s Journals, Notebooks, Booklets, Sheets, Scraps, and Slips of Paper. Ed. Niels Jørgeb Cappelørn, Joakim Garff, Johnny Kondrup. Transl. Bruce H. Kirmmse (Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, 2003)

Even though, or perhaps better: just because Kierkegaard wrote in 1843: "After my death no one will find even the least bit of information in my papers (this is my consolation) about what has really filled my life; no one will find that which is written in the core of my being that explains everything, and which often makes what the world would call trifles into exceedingly important events to me, and which I, too, view as insignificance, if I remove the secret note that explains this."[1]

No one knows what's "written in the core" of anyone's being. Nothing would explain everything. Kierkegaard himself did not know it either. I suspect that, if it could be found, it would turn out to be just as boring as the "trifles" that make events "exceedingly important" to us. In 1847 he wrote: "Only when I produce do I feel well. Then I forget all the unpleasantness[.] of life, all sufferings, then I am in my thoughts and happy." If there were a secret, it would be found in his "productions."

All the best for the New Year!


1. See The Secret Note See also Kierkegaard's Writing Desk.

No comments: