Sunday, January 27, 2013

Writers' Rooms

The Guardian has a delightful series on rooms in which writers write.[1] It invites voyeurism. My interests are, of course, strictly objective or professional, as I am strictly interested in the question whether the rooms or spaces in which people write determine what and how they write as much as their writing implements do. Some of my favorite rooms are Russell Hoban's (which is just as I would have expected it to be) and Helen Simpson's (which is just as unlike mine as Hoban's is). But the one writing place I have most affection for is this one:
It belonged to Arno Schmidt. The place at which I write is not quite as cramped, but it is rather small as well.


1. Turns out, I referred to the series once before. I am glad that it is consistent with what I think now.

No comments: