Saturday, March 2, 2013

Is Barnes & Noble's Nook in a Death Spiral?

Reading some of the reports on Barnes and Noble and their Nook suggests that the platform is not doing very well and will be abandoned. See here and yy and here, for instance.

I don't understand why they made no attempt to improve the user interface, like allowing you actually to save your notes and highlights (as the Kindle allows you to do) and allowing the Amazon Android application to run on the new models. A slight drop in e-book prices might also have helped. Given the fact that neither seems to be in the future, it will go the way of the eight-track, I fear.

I have retired the newest Nook and bought an iPad Mini because it allows me to read all kinds of e-books and then some. Had the Nook allowed me to do that, I would not have bought Mini.

Perhaps the writing was on the wall when Andy Lee, President at Microsoft announced in October: “NOOK Media is a leader in developing the next generation of digital reading and we look forward to the company bringing one of the world’s largest digital libraries to Windows 8 devices via their upcoming Windows 8 app.” When they were “also excited by NOOK Media’s product roadmap and expansion into markets around the world as demonstrated by their recent launches in the United Kingdom” I should have known that the end was near.

No comments: