Saturday, April 27, 2013

Scapple Released

Scapple "is an easy-to-use tool for getting ideas down as quickly as possible and making connections between them. It isn’t exactly mind-mapping software—it’s more like a freeform text editor that allows you to make notes anywhere on the page and to connect them using straight dotted lines or arrows. If you’ve ever scribbled down ideas all over a piece of paper and drawn lines between related thoughts, then you already know what Scapple does."

I have used the Beta for a long time. I am buying it. Perhaps I should point out that the way I mostly use it is rather different from the one proposed by the developer. I outline relationships between authors, concepts, and theories to paste into ConnectedText, like this, for instance:



For some reason, I like it better than the outline:
  • Lotze
    • Ritschl
      • Herrmann
        • Barth
        • Bultmann
    • Harnack

It costs 14.99. The "Apple Store version" is not yet available.

I would not call it a "mind mapping' application.

3 comments:

persistentenlightenment said...

While I like Scrivener quite a bit, my reaction to Scapple tends towards "meh," perhaps because I've been spoiled by iThoughtsHD, a full-featured mind-mapping program for the iPad that outputs OPML files that can be easily imported into Scrivener when I'm ready to stop planning and start writing. My preference for iThoughtsHD has a lot to do with my (probably) idiosyncratic preference for doing mind-mapping on the iPad, rather than on a computer. Somehow the experience just seems more natural to me. It may be relevant that I'd never done mind-mapping in any form prior to purchasing iThoughtsHD.

MK said...

As I said, I don't really use it for mind-mapping or planning. I use it for diagramming dependencies.

Julio said...

Dr. Kuhn do you know DocEar?

"Docear (“dog-ear”) is an academic literature suite. It integrates everything you need to search, organize and create academic literature into a single application: digital library with support for pdf documents, reference manager, note taking and with mind maps taking a central role. What’s more, Docear works seamlessly with many existing tools like Mendeley, Microsoft Word, and Foxit Reader. Docear is free and open source, based on Freeplane, funded by the German Federal Ministry of Technology and developed by scientists from around the world"

http://www.docear.org/