Saturday, October 19, 2013

Canetti's Library

"My Library, which consists of thousands of books I have undertaken to read, is growing ten times faster than I can read. I have tried to expand it into a kind of universe where I can find everything. But this universe is growing at a dizzying pace. This pace will never slacken; I feel its growth physically within me. Every book i add sets off a mini-catastrophe that only subsides when books seeming brought into line on the shelf and temporarily disappears." (Elias Canetti, Notes from Hampsteed, p. 20)

These sentiments sir a chord in me. In some ways, my situation is worse, as my universe is dispersed in three places: the office, the loft in Boston, and in Indiana.

I have been trying to give away books I no longer "need," but it's difficult.

No comments: