Thursday, April 10, 2014

Throughline

I just downloaded a note-card program for Windows called Throughline by Storymind. So far, I have just played around with it, but I find it compelling at $9.95. It's not a complicated program. It allows you to create cards on a canvas, name them, move them around and arrange them in accordance with four different layouts: freestyle, single line, multiple lines, and timeline. Double-clicking on a card opens an edit window that allows you to create and change the contents of cards.



What makes the edit window really interesting is that "you can create hyperlinks on any text on your card to any file on your desktop or any URL on the internet to easily reference other materials directly from a card." Of special importance for me is the fact that it recognizes ConnectedText Urls, so that I can use it to interact with the information I have in ConnectedText.



"To print the names and content of all the Cards in your deck, click on the printer symbol on the tool bar or select the "Print" option in the File menu."

"To export your deck of Cards to an RTF file which can be opened by your word processor, click on the curved arrow symbol on the far right of the tool bar or select the "Export" option in the file menu."

Those are the essentials as far as I am concerned. But you can also create "Sub Cards," or cards "within any card, just like having files within folders. So, for example, you could have a card for every character in a story and each character could have multiple sub-cards for their traits, physical attributes, even for their character arc. Sub-cards can have their own sub-cards, so you can go as deeply into detail as you like."

I like what I see and I will experiment with the program a little more, but I am pretty sure I will buy it.[1]



1. There is also a version for "Macintosh OSX version 10.2 or better." It seems to be available on CD only. It seems to work in the same way as the Windows version, but I have not tried it. Price: 19.95.

8 comments:

drandus said...

Would you mind telling me what the version number is? I tried v. 1.0 back in October 2012, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware flagged it up as Trojan.backdoor. It's always possible that that was a false positive, but I'm just wondering if this is a newer version or the same one.

MK said...

There is no help file, no version number. It just says "Restricted version," as you can see on the first picture.

MK said...

It seems to be version 3. See here.

The way you have to hunt for this information does not inspire confidence, but I must say the program works very well for me.

drandus said...

Thank you for that.

Franz Grieser said...

The demo I downloaded seems to be version 2.5 (at least the file name says so).
It crashed 2 times. And the RTF export is cumbersome: There is a lot of control code in the file you have to delete in a wordprocessor.

MK said...

Sorry to hear that. I have no issue with crashing, but I have not really tried to export to RTF yet.

MK said...

I now exported a file to RTF. I did not find it cumbersome You just click export, select a file name and directory and save. The file looked quite good in Atlantis, though I did not like the re-duplication of card titles.

Saving the file with a DOC extension also worked in Atlantis.

I did not, however, edit the underlying RTF. I have doubt that you are right that it's ugly. (It often is when a program exports to RTF.)

Franz Grieser said...

The process of exporting is not cumbersome. The result is: When you open the RTF file in Wordpad, Word or LibreOffice, there are the card titles plus the text for each card plus a lot of meta information (I guess it's the position of each card, a color code, the "mode" of the card - e.g. freestyle or snap, plus I don't know what.

The crashes did not happen during export. One while moving around a card, another while editing a card.