Saturday, June 7, 2014

Inherent Advantages of Mead Three-Subject Notebooks?

Michael Leddy has an interesting post on Roger Angell's use of Mead Notebooks. I have never liked these. They are to big for my tastes, and I very much dislike that they are wirebound. All sorts of things get stuck in the wires and the pages fray easily in my experience. That being said, I think this just goes to show that note-taking is just as much a matter of habituation as eating. You tend to like what you grew up with, and their is not much else that can be said about this—as far as I am concerned. Growing up in Germany, i found wirebound notebooks weren't very common, if they existed at all. I think they offer no advantages over composition books.

No further comment!

2 comments:

Manuel Simoni said...

One advantage of wirebound is that you can fold the book completely flat, like this http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/R193608-4.jpg

MK said...

Yes, that true, but clumsy me manages to get his shirt sleeves caught up every once in a while. For papers that are completely flat, I prefer circa notebooks whose pages can be taken out.