Monday, September 29, 2014

Two Outliners for the Mac

I discovered two outliners in the Mac Apps Store. One is called "The Outliner." It's a very rudimentary two-pane outliner. I cannot recommend it, especially also because the support site does not seem to be operational. It costs $1.99. I paid it, but it does not seem to me to be worth the price.

The other is called OutlineEdit. It is a slick one-pane outline with a number of extras, the most important of which is the so-called category filter. It allows you to assign different categories to outline items by giving them the same color. Look at the Website for an introduction. It costs $16.99, but it may well be worth the money. In any case, I am tempted. And not only because it looks good. I am not sure, however, that it is better than Outlinely which now also can do tags that can be filtered.[1]


1. A tag starts with a "@" character (which I prefer over assigning a color because it is easier to type.

2 comments:

welcometosherwood said...

I haven't yet purchased OutlineEdit, but it is tempting, mostly for the split-window function. Still, I think I agree with you that Outlinely is a better app at this point.

Robin said...

OutlineEdit is currently 50% off the regular price, only for a limited time. Has there been a better chance to try a new outliner?