Monday, October 13, 2014

Saramago on Typewriter versus Keyboard

"The truth is, I had no difficulty in adapting to the keyboard at all. Contrary to what is often said about the computer compromising one’s style, I don’t think it compromises anything, and much less if it is used as I use it—like a typewriter. What I do on the computer is exactly what I would do on the typewriter if I still had it, the only difference being that it is cleaner, more comfortable, and faster. Everything is better. The computer has no ill effects on my writing. That would be like saying that switching from writing by hand to writing on a typewriter would also cause a change in style. I don’t believe that to be the case. If a person has his own style, his own vocabulary, how can working on a computer come to alter those things?" José Saramago, in an interview in the Paris Review, The Art of Fiction No. 155.

My sentiments exactly. I also need a paper copy in the end!

3 comments:

Angry Thinker said...

You say you need a paper copy, but Saramago does not say that in the text you quote here.

MK said...

That is true. But he says it immediately after what I quote. So, you should take my statement as giving you more information than the quote contains.

Information said...

Nicely posted