Friday, December 26, 2014

Slow Watch?

A watch that is slow is not a good thing. It's unreliable. This shortcoming does not prevent one company to advertise its watch as the the slow watch. What is it? A one-handed watch.

I have to admit that I have a fascination for one-handed watches that I can't explain even to myself. I own three of them. The best is an UNO from Botta Design. It's my favorite:

The other two are cheaper—not to say "cheap," namely a "Bauhaus" of questionable heritage and a "Design Jens Ole Miang" with a Japanese movement. Since I "collect" watches, I am tempted by the "Slow Watch." But I am resisting—largely because of the advertisement: "The great thing is that the 24-hour dial allows you to see the entire day in one view. This fundamentally changes the way you look at your watch and it will give you a much better consciousness about the progression of your day. You will realize that the dial does not show a logo as we believe a great product does not need to show any visible branding to be recognized. A unique design language should do the job."

This is pretentious, and I hate nothing more than pretentiousness. Let me make this perfectly clear: a one-handed watch with a twenty-four hour display does not fundamentally change the way you look at your day. It does change the way you look at your watch simply because it is more difficult to discern the precise time. Looking at it quickly you can easily see whether the time is closer to 14:15 or 14:30, but you need to look at it rather closely to see whether it is 14:20 or 14:25; and you will never be able to be very precise about anything that falls within the five-minute increments. The "Slow Watch" is less useful, as its dial has only fifteen-minute increments.

It's no accident that one-dial watches almost disappeared in the early 18th century and are an acquired taste today. I call these watches my "retirement watches" because I believe that when I retire (soon), I will not be driven as much by the precise clock time as I am now. But I do not use this watch on teaching days. I also like the retro design of these. I wonder whether Heidegger, who despised "clock time," would have worn one of these. I'd like to think he wouldn't because that makes them more attractive to me.

They are available at Amazon and the prices start at $250.00. I hope you realize that this is not an advertisement in any way.

No comments: