Saturday, January 31, 2015

jrnl for ConnectedText

As I said, I don't like the command line, but I do like simple ways of entering information into programs. Day One has a quick entry mode that allows you directly interact with application without actually opening it. You can define a hotkey that brings up a quick entry window, type your note, and save it to Day One. It's more simple than the command line.

I have written a small script that does the same for ConnectedText:
; copy to date topic
#;::

InputBox, Output, Topic Title, Enter the Journal entry:
Clipboard =  `n%A_SPACE%%A_Hour%:%A_Min%%A_Space%%Output%

if ErrorLevel <> 0
{
    MsgBox, You cancelled
    return
}
else
{
Send, !t
SendInput, %a_yyyy%%A_MM%%A_dd%`n
Sleep, 200
    IfWinActive, Confirmation
    {
        WinActivate, Confirmation
        Send, {Enter}
        SendInput !e
        SendInput, {PgDn}
        SendInput ^v!e
        return
     }
SendInput, !e
SendInput, {PgDn}
SendInput, ^v!e
return
}
return

It copies what I write into today's topic of the journal I keep in ConnectedText. It presupposes that the preceding line starts with a space (which starts a new line without requiring a new paragraph).{1] It also presupposes that the journal tab is active. As I found it impossible to activate the journal tab within the script itself, I had to write a separate script for that. Here it is:

^+j:: ;Open ConnectedText Journal
Run, ct://Journal/20150101
WinActivate, ConnectedText - The Personal wiki System
return

It actually opens the journal page of January 1, 2015 (and that is sufficient).

For those who don't use ConnectedText (for whatever reason, incomprehensible to me :)), here is the script I used as a model. It saves the journal entries to a text file:

^!A::
; Show the Input Box to the user.
inputbox, text, Diary,,,300,100
; Format the time-stamp.
current=%A_DD%/%A_MM%/%A_YYYY%, %A_Hour%:%A_Min%
; Write this data to the diary.txt file.
fileappend, %current% - %text%`n, diary.txt
return



1. There wer some glitches in the original scrip I published. They should now be fixed (13:14 on January 31, 2015).

No comments: