Monday, February 16, 2015

An Honest Review of the Lamy 2000

You hear almost nothing but hyperbole about the Lamy 2000. I have one, and it is one of my least favorite pens. To be sure, I like the way it looks. But it appears to me that function has been sacrificed for form in this case. It's very uncomfortable to write with, and I am sure that this is not just due to my hands. Here is an excellent review of the 2000. By the way, the 2000 is not the only example of a non-functional product from Lamy. Just take a look at their Tipo mechanical pencil. I have no idea why the clip extends above the body of the pencil.

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I like the design of the 2000, but it's not an especially comfortable pen to write with. If someone's going to buy one pen, I'd recommend the Safari, a fraction of the price and really durable. I've been using the same blue Safari for about eighteen years.

MK said...

I fully agree (though in the end I prefer Rotrings).

Michael Leddy said...

I spoke too soon — yesterday, the Phillips-screw-like button on my Safari gave out, broke in two. I've seen it happen on other Safaris. Despite the lifetime warranty described on the Lamy USA website, the company wants to charge me $20 for a new cap (plus $9.50 for shipping and handling). A new Safari costs much less than that. Rest assured, I will be writing about this online.