Monday, February 23, 2015

Writing as a Method of Inquiry

Laurel Richardson claimed that writing was a “method of inquiry,” or a “way of finding out” things. "Writing is also a way of ‘knowing’–a method of discovery and analysis." Therefore, she points out: “I write because I want to find so mething out. I write in order to learn something I did not know before I wrote it. I was taught, however . . . not to write until I knew what I wanted to say, until my points were organized and outlined." (Richardson, Laurel. “Writing: A Method of Inquiry.” The Handbook of Qualitative Research 2nd edition. Eds. Norman K. Denzin and Yvonne S. Lincoln. Sage, 2000. Pp. 923-948.)

I like this idea, and I think it is essentially correct. Richardson was neither the first nor the last to assert it. In the spirit of open disclosure. That assertion is about the only thing I like in his essay. Nor do I think that this a in any way a "post-modern" idea.

No comments: