Friday, March 13, 2015

SuperDuper!

A friend suggested I take a look at SuperDuper! as an alternative to Carbon Copy Cloner. I did, and it looks very good. From their Website:
SuperDuper v2.7.5 is here, and it's compatible with Yosemite! ... SuperDuper is the wildly acclaimed program that makes recovery painless, because it makes creating a fully bootable backup painless. Its incredibly clear, friendly interface is understandable, easy to use, and SuperDuper's built-in scheduler makes it trivial to back up automatically. It's the perfect complement to Time Machine, allowing you to store a bootable backup alongside your Time Machine volume—and it runs beautifully on your Mac!
I have been relying on Carbon Copy Cloner the last few days, and it has been good to me. It costs $39.99, but there is an academic discount of 25% which brings it down to $29.99. The price of SuperDuper! is 27.99.

The last few wasted days have shown to me that a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! are absolutely essential. They have also shown to me that Time Machine cannot be relied on. When I needed it most, it did not work. Nor do I know why it did not work. I could get into time machine, but every backup after the present one was greyed out. I know this now: I should have been more circumspect and have trusted Apple products less.

1 comment:

MK said...

March 29, 215: I chose Carbon Copy cloner (and am now a registerd user).