Thursday, July 23, 2015

Malkovich -- a Personal Wiki

I came across this program in the Outliner Forum. I downloaded and tried it. It lives up to its promises (which are minimal), using Markdown as wiki markup and storing its files as plain text files.

What I like about it most is that it uses free links, i.e. Double square brackets, like "[[this]]" for links. It's using "io.js and Electron", whatever that means. The one I downloaded is "version 0.9 Released July 7th 2015".

They say: "Malkovich is a desktop application built to run on your computer. It's self-contained and easy to install. You don't need to mess around with databases and run servers."

One problem, I have not been able to figure out where the data (or files) are actually stored (even though the Website says: "Notes are all stored as markdown formatted text files on your computer"). Accordingly, I have uninstalled it again.

4 comments:

Angry Thinker said...

Souds like a "me too" piece of software, so not worth the hassle.

Stephen Zeoli said...

I emailed the developer with the link on the website and got a quick reply. He (or she - name of Shannon could be be either) was eager to get feedback. Just in case you wanted to help sculpt the software development.

vam said...

Hi, I'm the Malkovich developer. Thanks for checking it out.

It's a good point you raise. On Windows the markdown documents are stored in your user application data folder. For example, on my computer, documents are:

C:\Users\Shannon Matthews\AppData\Roaming\Malkovich\

AppData is a hidden folder.

Admittedly this directory isn't convenient to locate by browsing the file system, but that's where Windows recommends storing user specific application data. I'm considering adding the ability to store files in a custom location.

Don't hesitate to email if you have any questions or comments. shannon@malkovich.io


Cheers
Shannon

MK said...

Thank you very much for the response. It might be sufficient to point out in the help file or documentation where the data are. One can always turn on show hidden folders.
Manfred