Tuesday, February 9, 2016

New Kindle

I bought a Kindle 3 in 2010. It did provide good service to me until January of this year when it died. The screen partially froze. The upper half of the screen had a fractured picture of the last active screen saver, while the lower half still worked. Needless to say, it is unusable. It was to expensive to fix, so I broke down and bought the cheapest version of the present Kindle (with advertisements). It's a refurbished unit and cost less than $60.00.

It does what it is supposed to do, but I still miss the keyboard. Nor can I help thinking that the touchscreen will break more easily than the older screen, but we will see.

I was tempted by the Kindle Fire which is actually cheaper than the classic Kindle, but I was worried that the bright screen might interfere with reading. Does anyone have any experiences she/he might want to share?[1]


1. See here for all my posts related to the Kindle.

2 comments:

Darek Bobak said...

I have no experience with Kindle Fire, but I am reading mainly on iPad 3 with retina display. I suppose that reading experience should be similar to the Kindle Fire. And the experience is very good, bright screen does not bothers me at all.

Alessandro said...

I bought a DX in 2010 and never looked back.
For me, to lose it now would be a disaster - large screen eink is not available anymore at amazon...
Anyway, among the positives: a device doing just one thing - showing you a book - and doing it well