Thursday, March 31, 2016

R.R. Martin on Readers

I am an avid reader. And I believe that reading is very important for anyone who wants to live a life worth living. Yet, I have to take issue with a quote that is supposedly from R.R. Martin's A Dance with Dragon that is making the rounds on the Internet:
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
At best, a reader leads a thousand vicarious lives; and she or he may not live any life at all, if reading becomes an escape from living. Reading does not substitute for living. It may enhance life, but, it may also damage it, especially if you only read certain kinds of fantasy.

I would be very careful from whom I take advice!

1 comment:

Carlos Eduardo Morreo said...

The 1000 makes me want to protest! This idea that some kind of magnitude for reading can be expressed in such a manner seems very simplistic. The more books being equal to more lives, absurd. There are dozens of books which I have very present, with which my 'singular' life would now seem incomplete, but they don't add (character) lives to my life.