Saturday, June 25, 2016

Ars Vivendi

"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play; his labor and his leisure; his mind and his body; his education and his recreation. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both.”

“Un maître dans l’art de vivre ne fait pas de différence entre son travail et ses loisirs, son esprit et son corps, son éducation et sa distraction. Il met en oeuvre sa vision de l’excellence dans tout ce qu’il fait et laisse les autres déterminer s’il travaille ou se divertit. A ses yeux, il semble toujours faire les deux”. -

Francois Auguste René Chateaubriand

I wish I were ... but I have always been painfully aware of the difference between work and play.

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I’m reminded of something Paul Fussell says in his (in many ways dated or wrongheaded) book Class , that there are people whose clothing is more or less the same for work and not-work. It's all the same to them. I think of academic life. Maybe now the tech world too. But I too find it easy to distinguish between work and play. It was esp. easy to do so when I was starting out on the road to tenure.

MK said...

Exactly!

Michael Leddy said...

Just another thought: there is the so-called flow state. I think there the line between work and play erased. But one person’s idea of flow (being immersed in a difficult text) can be someone else’s idea of agony.