Thursday, March 22, 2018

From ConnectedText to Zim?

It is always good to look for alternatives—or so it seems to me. I have been exclusively using ConnectedText for my notes since 2005. Recently, there have been rumors that ConnectedText won't be updated in the future, and some of us were considering alternatives to ConnectedText. It seems that these rumors are not correct. Connectedtext may be in "maintainance mode, but it will be updated as needed.

Still, I wanted to see what other options there are. So, I tried to determine whether and how compatible ConnectedText's files are with Zim. I had considered it before, but I decided to give it another chance. (I will never give Wikidpad another chance, as I found it highly unreliable, even if it was quite easy to change its markup to something closer to that of ConnectedText [see here for a start]).

I was able to transfer more than 11,000 ConnectedText topics into Zim. I used ConnectedText's backup files (*.cbk) and transformed them with the first AhK script I made (i.e. I gave the entries more friendly titles).[1] I did not use the second script (to remove the first line with "#CT#" as that produced files Zim had difficulties recognizing. (May have to do with UTF-8, but I don't know. I then cleaned up the text files with fnr.exe ( (Find & Replace Tool). But be careful, it's easy to make mistakes that spoil the files.

The titles of Zim's text files do not allow spaces. I used Advanced Renamer to replace the spaces by underscores (see I probably could have done all this with AhK, but was to lazy. You should also note that Zim is very fussy about what character it recognizes in titles. It does not recognize question mark, for instance. And a bracket at the beginning of a file name does not get recognized (so you have to remove brackets in topics like (Kuehn 2002) which I extensively use in ConnectedText for bibliographical entries.

The resulting files work, as Zim uses text files, not a database. But there are some problems:
  1. the load time is about 3 minutes on my system (off a SSD with 500MB per second transfer time). After that, it is reasonably fast in loading pages, etc.
  2. every time you change the underlying text files, it needs to re-index which can take up to 20 minutes
  3. many of ConnectedText's more advanced functions are not available
  4. I did not succeed in transferring pictures automatically
  5. it's impossible to print directly from Zim. You can only print to your browser
  6. I don't like that I have to use underscores in naming pages

Zim is clearly is not a good replacement for ConnectedText, but it is a replacement, if such is needed. It would do. in a pinch, and some of the plugins might provide more functionality that I can use. But for now and the foreseeable future, I will stick with ConnectedText. (See also my Reassurance.)

The transfer took about half a day to accomplish (and is still a work in progress, as I discover new things that need to be changed, like properties I had forgotten).

The other thing I recommend as a limited replacement for ConnectedText are Notetab outlines. They also work and are much faster. But they have even fewer features. I have written about them before as well (on this blog; just search for notetab). I use them as another "backup" for ConnectedText, that is, I create yearly files, like "Notes 2016.otl", "Notes 2017.otl", etc.

1. For the scripts, see here.
2. I first published this on the ConnectedText Forum, but I thought even people who don't frequent it, might have a passing interest.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Umberto Eco's Library

Here a video of Umberto Eco taking a walk through his private library. I can only wish ...